Timeline: A five-year history of on-campus housing

September 2009: South Hall, GW’s first LEED-certified building, opens to seniors. At the time, it was the University’s most expensive residence hall.

October 2009: New Hall is renamed Philip Amsterdam Hall, in honor of the late alumnus who donated $5 million to the University’s anthropology and public policy programs.

August 2010: West Hall, the largest residence hall on the Mount Vernon Campus, opens to about 280 students.

August 2011: GW offers gender-neutral housing for the first time, after a strong push from the Student Association, Residence Hall Association and Allied in Pride.

October 2012: The University announces a $130 million plan to construct its most expensive residence hall to date. Construction of the building, dubbed the “superdorm,” will merge The West End, Schenley Hall and Crawford Hall.

July 2013: GW announces that all students, beginning with the Class of 2018, will be required to live on campus through junior year.

July 2013: Two summer interns living in GW housing publicly shame the University by creating a “GW Housing Horrors” Facebook group after their complaints about mold and water damage go unresolved.

August 2013: The housing office releases a “Bill of Rights” for students living on campus after coming under fire for the “GW Housing Horrors” page.

February 2014: The University commits to regular residence hall renovations on a seven-year cycle.

March 2014: The “superdorm” is given the name District House, the winning entry in a naming contest.

May 2014: Ivory Tower is renamed Shenkman Hall after trustee Mark Shenkman donates $5 million to career services and the GW School of Business. His gift is the largest-ever from a sitting trustee.

December 2014: City Hall residents receive a partial refund after a semester of construction noise and other disturbances.