Your Week: Back to the District

After a few days of classes, unwind with Tai Chi at the National Cathedral on Wednesday. Photo by flickr user Francisco Daum used under a CC-BY 2.0 licence.
After a few days of classes, unwind with Tai Chi at the National Cathedral on Wednesday. Photo by flickr user Francisco Daum used under a CC-BY 2.0 license.

This post was written by Hatchet staff writer Everly Jazi.

Spend some quality time catching up with your friends in a week jam-packed with free events. Or ease into spring semester with laid-back options like book readings, Tai Chi and rock concerts.

Monday

Brian Quijada’s “Where Did We Sit on the Bus?” Performance: Brian Quijada will perform in the large Theater Lab as part of the Millennium Stage series at the Kennedy Center. Quijada’s performance, including spoken word and music, will be centered on one of his childhood experiences: asking his third grade teacher where Latinos sat on buses at the time of the Civil Rights Movement. Get there early as general admission tickets will be handed out in the Kennedy Center States Gallery at 5:30 p.m.
Kennedy Center, 2700 F St. NW. 6 p.m. Free.

An Evening of Humorous Readings at Kramerbooks: Start your semester with some much-needed laughs. Take your friends to enjoy some beers while watching some of the best in comedy writing. Brian Agler from McSweeney’s and Funny or Die will host the event with writers like Sean Carman of McSweeney’s and Sarah Schmelling of the New York Times.
Kramerbooks & Afterwards Café & Grill, 1517 Connecticut Ave. NW. 8 p.m. Free.

Tuesday

Nerds in NoMa: This winter speaker series brings the nerds – or rather hipsters – together to discuss topics like street art, beekeeping and local brewing. On Tuesday, meet like-minded connoisseurs and learn about mobile businesses. This week’s speakers include Mike Lenard from TaKorean and Laura Layton from Tin Lizzy Mobile Boutique. Food trucks will be on site selling refreshments. RSVP in advance.
The Lobby Project, 1200 First St. NE. 6 p.m. Free.

John McQuaid “Tasty: The Art and Science of What We Eat” Discussion: Pulitzer Prize-winning food author and journalist John McQuaid will be at Politics & Prose on Tuesday to talk about taste and the body and how the brain decides what we eat. Learn more about how to control what you eat and culinary events in history like the invention of the potato chip. His book, which comes out Tuesday, will be available for purchase at the bookstore.
Politics & Prose, 5015 Connecticut Ave. NW. 7 p.m. Free.

Wednesday

Tai Chi at the National Cathedral: After a couple days of classes, relax and get started on your fitness and health resolutions. Learn about the ancient Chinese martial art Tai Chi from one of the most well-known masters in the District, Nick Gracenin. This beginner’s class will consist of breathing and movement exercises, focusing on the themes of expansiveness, immediacy and insight.
Washington National Cathedral, 3101 Wisconsin Ave. NW. 7 p.m. Free.

The Vaselines at Rock & Roll Hotel: The Glasgow-based melodic and upbeat rock band will play your favorite H Street venue Wednesday night. The group’s playful songwriting has a punk quality that attracts everyone from fellow Sub Pop band Nirvana to Belle & Sebastian. Their new album, “V for Vaselines,” is more aware of contemporary rock and features catchy tracks that will be great for dancing.
Rock & Roll Hotel, 1353 H St. NE. 8 p.m. $20.

Thursday

Jazz in Kogod Courtyard: Enjoy the music of famed bebop saxophone player Charlie Parker at the American Art Museum’s Kogod Courtyard. A band with saxophonist Antonio Parker will play a tribute to Charlie Parker as part of the American Art Museum’s “The Singing and the Silence” exhibit. There will be refreshments and board games at the Courtyard Café along with a printmaking center to make your own print to keep
American Art Museum, 8th and F streets NW. 5 p.m. Free.

Wild Child at 9:30 Club: The members of pop-like indie folk group Wild Child will bring their many unique instruments to the 9:30 Club. A band that has been an NPR favorite and appeared at Firefly and Bonnaroo, Wild Child knows how to impress. The group is touring on its second album, “The Runaround,” produced by Ben Kweller.
9:30 Club, 815 V St. NW, 7 p.m. $15.