Brother claimed Charlie Hebdo attack inspired by radical cleric who took classes at GW

Updated: Jan. 12, 2015 at 11:14 p.m.

One of the brothers who carried out the Charlie Hebdo attacks claimed al-Awlaki, who took classes at GW, inspired the attacks. Photo courtesy of Wikipedia.
One of the brothers who carried out the Charlie Hebdo attacks in Paris claimed Anwar al-Awlaki, a former GW student, inspired the attacks. Photo courtesy of Wikipedia.

One of the brothers who carried out the Charlie Hebdo attack last week claimed he was inspired to do so by Anwar al-Awlaki, a former GW student.

Cherif Kouachi, one of the two brothers, told members of the French media that he was sent by al-Qaida and financed by al-Awlaki to carry out an attack on Charlie Hebdo, a satirical newspaper headquartered in Paris, that left 12 people dead, CNN reported.

Kouachi and his older brother were later killed outside of Paris after a police standoff.

Al-Awlaki was also tied to the Sept. 11, 2001 attacks, the Fort Hood shooting, the attempted bombing of Northwest Airlines flight 253 and the 2013 Boston Marathon bombings.

FBI agents followed al-Awlaki around D.C. and Foggy Bottom after the Sept. 11 attacks as he took classes in the Graduate School of Education and Human Development.

Al-Awlaki was killed by a drone in Yemen in 2011.

This post was updated to reflect the following correction:
The Hatchet incorrectly spelled the name of the satirical newspaper. It is Charlie Hebdo, not Charlie Hedbo. We regret this error.