Education and business online programs leap forward in U.S. News rankings

GW's online programs in education and business saw their rankings increase this year, while the School of Nursing's ranking slipped. Hatchet file photo.
GW’s online programs in education and business rose in the rankings this year, while the School of Nursing’s ranking slipped. Hatchet File Photo

GW’s education and business online programs rebounded in the U.S. News & World Report rankings.

The programs, which dropped in the rankings last year, shot up this year. The School of Nursing fell from last year’s all-time high.

The annual rankings come as GW has placed a higher priority on offering new online degree programs to attract more students and make up for a decline in graduate enrollment. Nationally, fewer students have applied to graduate school as the economy has picked up since the 2008 recession.

The Graduate School of Education and Human Development jumped into the top 10 of online graduate education programs, tying at No. 8 with Auburn and Ball State universities.

The school, which is in the middle of an 18-month plan to increase enrollment and introduce new academic programs, saw enrollment drop 22 percent over the past five years, according to the most recent data. The school was ranked No. 44 for graduate education schools last year.

The GW School of Business’ online MBA program also shot up, jumping 20 spots to No. 44. Its non-MBA online programs were ranked No. 22.

The school’s online rankings dropped last year after former dean Doug Guthrie was fired for the school overspending by about $13 million, much of which went toward online programs. The school added four new online programs in 2012.

Paul Schiff Berman, vice provost for online learning and academic innovation, has led online learning at GW for the last two years. Hatchet File Photo

The programs are evaluated based on selectivity, reputation among peer schools and services provided to students.

GW’s School of Nursing, which came in at No. 4 last year, fell to No. 9, tying with Duquesne and Graceland universities and the University of Texas–Tyler.

The nursing school has kept its enrollment steady, since most of its graduate programs are offered online.

The University’s online bachelor’s programs, most of which are housed in the School of Medicine and Health Sciences, jumped to No. 20, a large increase from last year’s ranking at No. 56.

Last year, GW introduced an in-house shop to make it easier for faculty to create online courses and degree programs. The University could launch at least six new online degree programs this year.