McFadden’s temporarily closed after stabbing

McFaddens
McFadden’s is temporarily closed after five people were stabbed there early Saturday morning. None of the victims are GW students. Hatchet File Photo
Updated: Dec. 29, 2014 at 10:01 p.m.

McFadden’s was ordered closed for 96 hours after a stabbing early Saturday morning left five people seriously injured.

Metropolitan Police Department Chief Cathy Lanier ordered the restaurant closed until New Year’s Eve, CBS D.C. and the Associated Press reported. A notice on the door of the restaurant stated that the bar’s liquor license had been suspended.

“The Chief of Police finds that the continued operation of this establishment would present an imminent danger to the health, safety and welfare of the public,” the notice read.

None of the victims are GW students, University spokeswoman Maralee Csellar said Monday.

Two police officers were assaulted during the fight, the Washington Post reported. Lanier wrote in the closure letter that the restaurant was overcrowded, one of the victims was underage and the staff did not immediately answer police officers’ questions about the incident.

“The club’s security protocols allowed a knife-wielding subject to enter the club, stab five patrons, and escape without capture,” Lanier wrote, adding that McFadden’s three security guards did not have experience with crowd control.

The D.C. Alcoholic Beverage Control Board could keep the restaurant closed beyond New Year’s Eve after conducting its own investigation, the Post reported.

Police say all five victims are expected to survive, WJLA and the AP reported. The father of one of the victims told ABC7 that the group had been celebrating a birthday at McFadden’s.

A GW alert described a suspect as a 5’7″ or 5’8″ black man wearing a plaid shirt, blue or black pants and a tan trench coat. He was last seen heading east down Pennsylvania Avenue after the incident at about 12:30 a.m.

McFadden’s did not return multiple requests for comment.