City Hall residents receive apology, partial refund from University

The University will refund City Hall residents $400 of their fall semester housing fees. Hatchet file photo.
The University will refund City Hall residents $400 of their fall semester housing fees. Hatchet File Photo
City Hall residents will receive a partial refund from the University after a semester of complaints about intrusive construction and a WiFi outage during finals week.

Residents were refunded $400 of their fall semester housing costs as an apology for the issues they faced, according to an email sent Thursday morning by Dean of Student Affairs Peter Konwerski and Senior Associate Vice President for Operations Alicia Knight that was obtained by The Hatchet.

“We have worked hard to address issues and to communicate updates to you, but we did not deliver the high quality of service for which we strive,” the email read. “We should have proactively shared information about construction and building amenities with you so that you could make fully informed decisions on your living arrangements.”

Residents have complained of loud construction noises and intrusive workers since the beginning of the semester. Some residents pointed out that they had not been informed of the construction in their residence hall until well past the housing cancellation deadline last May.

In October, the University announced that louder construction was postponed until the summer after the Residence Hall Association petitioned for a delay.

Earlier this month, residents experienced a power outage as they began preparing for final exams. The building also lost WiFi for several days.

A City Hall double costs either $12,760 or $13,950 for the year, with studio-style rooms costing the lower rate.