What We’re Watching: ‘Citizenfour’

This post was written by Hatchet staff writer Eric Robinson.

“Citizenfour”

★★★★✰

Promotional poster for "Citizenfour."
Promotional poster for “Citizenfour.”

There’s a moment in “Citizenfour,” a documentary that follows journalist Laura Poitras as she works with Edward Snowden to leak information about the National Security Agency surveillance program, that encapsulates the paranoia and darkness at the film’s heart.

During one of Snowden’s many conversations with Poitras and Glenn Greenwald in a Hong Kong hotel room, a fire alarm blares to life. Tension increases as Snowden openly wonders whether the alarm is meant to force the group out of the hotel room so others can spy on them.

When it turns out that the alarm is just for a drill at the hotel, the room relaxes – but not completely, as evidenced by the hint of hesitation in Snowden’s voice as they resume the discussion.

Moments like this punctuate “Citizenfour,” whether it be Snowden shaving his face and cutting his hair in an effort to radically change his appearance or a roomful of journalists getting rid of all their cell phones to avoid being bugged.

It is impossible to know whether anyone in the room was actually wiretapped, making both the film’s characters and viewers wonder if they are being watched.

“Citizenfour” takes place firmly from the point of view of Poitras and Greenwald as they meet with Snowden in a Hong Kong hotel room before, during and after the release of the leaks. The sequence is tense because of its intimate vantage point as the leakers watch the world react to the information they provide.

It’s very much like watching history unfold before your eyes.

Whereas most politically motivated documentaries go for a confrontational or incendiary style reminiscent of Michael Moore, “Citizenfour” is more subtle. Poitras uses a minimalist style, incorporating emails, raw interview footage and secret communications.

Poitras completely excludes herself from the documentary despite her very active role in the leaks, a decision that makes the film seem more journalistic. The film isn’t made so much to anger or outrage you, but rather to immerse you in a world of secrecy.

Yet even with this style, “Citizenfour” is rather terrifying. Its portrayal of a world so frightened of terrorism that governments feel the need to spy on absolutely everyone is effectively disturbing and saddening.

In one particularly grim scene, Greenwald sits in a room with Snowden as they communicate via pieces of paper – in case the room has been bugged.

After finishing their conversation, Greenwald tears up the pieces of paper, and a final shot shows Greenwald gathering the pieces with his hands.

With scenes like this, the film leaves one question for viewers: In a paranoid world, where everything can be traced and found, how can anyone, like whistleblowers and journalists, be safe?

Released: Nov. 26
Director: Laura Poitras (“The Oath”)
Genre: Documentary
Cast: Edward Snowden, Glenn Greenwald, William Beeny, Jacob Appelbaum, Ewen MacAskill