University confirms fall break committee to meet this spring

Sen. Thomas Falcigno, CCAS-U, and freshman Sen. Alyssa Weakley brought forward the “Give Me a [Fall] Break Act,” which the Student Association passed unanimously Monday.  Samuel Klein | Senior Photo Editor
Sen. Thomas Falcigno, CCAS-U, and freshman Sen. Alyssa Weakley introduced the “Give Me a [Fall] Break Act,” which the Student Association passed unanimously Monday. Samuel Klein | Senior Photo Editor
A fall break is definitely on the table, but may not happen until fall 2016 at the earliest, the University confirmed Wednesday.

University spokesman Kurtis Hiatt said a committee, including students, will meet in the spring “to discuss the 2016-17 to 2021-22 academic calendars.”

The news comes after the Student Association Senate passed a bill in support of a fall break Monday night, claiming it could potentially be implemented by as early as next fall. Sen. Thomas Falcigno, CCAS-U, and freshman Sen. Alyssa Weakley, who both introduced the bill, said they believe a break would help alleviate stress for students and improve mental health across campus.

By not offering a fall break, the University is an outlier among its peer schools: The senators found that 13 out of 15 competitor schools offer an average of two days off close to Columbus Day for students and faculty. The GW Law School offers a two-day fall break for its first-year students.