Got Ebola? Let GW know

Do you think you have Ebola? GW wants to know.

The University blasted its protocol on the virus to students Monday in preparation of some traveling to affected countries during the holidays.

Students who travel to an Ebola-affected country this Thanksgiving break are asked to contact the Office of Emergency Management before and after visiting the country. GW is also asking the students to inform officials of their exact travel dates and locations visited.

Students who think they may have been in contact with a person who has Ebola are also asked to contact the office at (202) 994-4936.

GW faculty and staff are asked to follow the same policies, and if they potentially come into contact with someone infected, the employees will receive full pay if they follow Center for Disease Control and Prevention protocol and telecommute if requested to do so.

The University has already banned all business- and education-related travel by students, faculty and staff to the countries primarily impacted by the Ebola epidemic, including Guinea, Liberia, Mali and Sierra Leone.

It’s the first time officials have announced its contingency plan for dealing with a potential Ebola outbreak on campus. It comes weeks after some Ebola patients were treated in the U.S.

University President Steven Knapp encouraged GW community members to receive flu shots last month to help calm fears about Ebola because of the similarity of the symptoms of the two diseases.

One patient at Howard University Hospital last month was thought to have Ebola but tested negatively for the virus. Another patient at GW Hospital was tested for the virus but was later determined to have the flu.

Nearly 5,500 people have died from the epidemic according to the latest figures released by the World Health Organization.