Alumnus awarded President’s Medal for achievements, dedication to GW

University President Steven Knapp awarded alumnus Simon Lee the President's Medal Wednesday night. Lee, who graduated from the School of Engineering and Applied Science in 2005, has donated millions of dollars to the University, including funds for exchange programs at SEAS. Sam Hardgrove | Hatchet Staff Photographer
University President Steven Knapp awarded alumnus Simon Lee the President’s Medal Wednesday night. Lee, who graduated from the School of Engineering and Applied Science in 2005, has donated millions of dollars to the University, including funds for exchange programs at SEAS. Sam Hardgrove | Hatchet Staff Photographer

This post was written by Hatchet reporter Julia Arciga

University President Steven Knapp awarded alumnus Simon Lee the President’s Medal in a ceremony held in the Jack Morton Auditorium on Wednesday.

Lee, who graduated with an advanced degree from School of Engineering and Applied Science, is the first Korean-American to receive the honor. The President’s Medal recognizes individuals who have exhibited courage, character and leadership in their chosen fields and is among the highest honors GW can give an alumnus.

Here are three things you need to know about Lee:

1. Korean-Born success story

Lee was born in rural Korea in 1949. Lee’s brother sold the family’s cattle and land to be able to afford to put Lee through high school before going onto Korea University to study industrial engineering.

“Without my brother, I would not be where I am today or who I am today,” Lee said.

He emigrated to Washington, D.C. in 1979 and worked for several technology companies. He started STG, Inc. in 1986, which has risen through the ranks to become a prominent federal contractor in information technology.

2. A family affair

Lee arrived in the U.S. with a goal of earning a degree from GW. After 25 years of balancing studying and his responsibilities as CEO of STG, he graduated with a masters in systems engineering from SEAS in 2005. He participated then in GW’s commencement ceremony alongside three of his children, who were also graduating.

“GW is truly a home for the Lee family, and it will be for many years to come, since I am already preparing my young grandchildrens’ applications,” Lee said.

Lee was inducted into the SEAS Hall of Fame in 2010 and received a GW Distinguished Alumni Achievement Award in 2012. He is a member of the SEAS National Advisory Council and participated in the GW Global Forum in Seoul, a conference where hundreds of other GW alumni and industry leaders discussed global growth and innovation.

3. Higher education beyond himself

Lee was key in establishing the Korea University undergraduate exchange program for SEAS students through his $1 million dollar endowment to the program in 2010. He donated another $1 million to expand the exchange program for graduate students and professors.

“Lee is a truly tireless spokesperson for the power of education to transform lives.” said SEAS dean David Dolling. “Nobody is a more effective ambassador for GW, building programs and developing relationships that benefit our students and our faculty.”

His own pursuits towards higher education and his passion to pay it forward have been a large part of his philanthropic efforts, Knapp said.

“[His] devotion to the future of engineering and our society is boundless,” Knapp said. “[He] never gave up on [his] goal to attend GW, and [his] commitment to higher education has given our students and so many others across the world the opportunity to realize their dreams.”

Lee  said he hopes to aid the growth and expansion of unique programs at GW and other universities to give students more opportunities.

“This is my mission, my passion, and my civic duty,” Lee said. “This medal, this call to action, is heard loud and clear. This exciting journey has just begun.”