GW’s MBA program inches up one spot to No. 53 in Bloomberg ranking

Updated: Nov. 11, 2014 at 10:26 p.m.

The GW School of Business moved up one spot in Bloomberg Businessweek’s ranking of full-time graduate programs, landing at No. 53 out of 85 schools.

Duke University’s Fuqua School of Business topped the list, knocking Harvard University’s business school out of the top five for the first time. Bloomberg Businessweek ranks the country’s master of business administration programs every two years.

The business schools at several of GW’s other peer schools also beat GW in the rankings, including Northwestern, Emory, New York and Vanderbilt universities. GW did edge out peer schools like Boston, Tulane and Miami universities.

Schools were graded based on a student satisfaction survey, a survey of employers who hire graduates and the expertise of a school’s faculty.

Former business school Dean Doug Guthrie considered that third benchmark, which is measured by faculty publications in top journals, one of the school’s biggest shortcomings.

In a 2010 budget proposal that The Hatchet obtained this year, Guthrie said the school was plagued by “poor teaching and deficient scholarship.”

“Some departments publish in inferior-quality academic journals and maintain a lower tenure standard. This neither advances the school’s aspiration to rank among the top business schools nor supports the central administration’s goal to excel as a research university,” he wrote.

More than 21,000 graduating full-time MBA students completed the student surveys, which included questions about the quality of class offerings, the student body and students’ evaluations of their own skills.

Recruiters were asked how well graduates performed in specific areas, according to Businessweek’s methodology.

This post was updated to reflect the following correction:
Due to an editing error, The Hatchet incorrectly spelled the last name of former Dean Doug Guthrie. It is Guthrie, not Gouthrie. We regret this error.