Hatchet staff earns national college journalism awards

A collection of awards, photos and issues that The Hatchet had displayed in the 2140 G Street townhouse. Elise Apelian | Senior Staff Photographer
The Associated Collegiate Press has named The GW Hatchet one of the 10 best four-year, non-daily college newspapers in the nation.

The Hatchet earned the Newspaper Pacemaker, led by former editor in chief Cory Weinberg. One of the highest marks in college journalism, the Pacemaker recognizes solid overall coverage, high-quality writing, in-depth reporting, strong columns, top-notch design and compelling visuals.

The Hatchet’s current editor in chief, Brianna Gurciullo, won second place for college reporter of the year. She was recognized for three stories she wrote about crime and the University Police Department last year: “Security chief: Police mishandled pair of gun threats on campus this month,” “Five sexual assaults reported at GW Hospital since 2009” and “Officers say lack of oversight creates hostile work environment in UPD.”

In the multimedia story of the year category, online visual director Zach Montellaro earned an honorable mention for his photo slideshow covering “Bark at Barcroft.”

The ACP awarded The Hatchet staff fourth place for multimedia feature of the year for the Best of Northwest guide.

Sarah Ferris, The Hatchet’s former managing editor, received an honorable mention for story of the year. In her feature story, “After tragedies, campus begins healing process,” Ferris wrote about the University’s reaction to the suicides of three students in West Hall last spring.

Former design editor Jenna Bernick took home third place in the design of the year category for an infographic that appeared in The Hatchet’s basketball season preview.

bballinfographic

The College Media Association, another national organization, also recognized The Hatchet this year. For the first time, two staffers won a pair of the organization’s prestigious Pinnacle Awards.

Jeremy Diamond, the Hatchet’s digital editor, earned the award for best general news story for revealing that GW had misrepresented its admissions policy for years.

Photo editor Cameron Lancaster won best sports news photo for his shot of former forward Isaiah Armwood in a basketball game against Duquesne.

Then-senior forward Isaiah Armwood goes up against Duquesne defenders in a game last season. Hatchet File Photo by Cameron Lancaster | Photo Editor

The Hatchet also won the ACP Newspaper Pacemaker award in 2005, 2008, 2011 and 2013. It earned the Online Pacemaker award in 2006, 2008 and 2010, and was named a finalist in 2012.