First multicultural Greek chapter faces sanctions, marking sixth hazing violation campus-wide

The University sanctioned Delta Sigma Theta for hazing this fall, bringing the total number of GW chapters punished for hazing to six.

A historically black sorority, the multicultural Greek chapter faced sanctions for hazing and disorderly conduct in September, according to the University’s online list of sanctioned student organizations, which was updated this week. It is the first chapter that GW has sanctioned for hazing this semester.

Delta Sigma Theta is on disciplinary probation, which means it is in poor judicial standing with the University, until next September.

The chapter must also obey a “national intake moratorium” and cannot add new members for the next year. Delta Sigma Theta’s national organization placed the ban on all of its chapters last spring as part of an anti-hazing push.

“We are taking this time to re-evaluate our organization in terms of ‘who we are’ and ‘what our purpose is,’” a release on the organization’s website read. “The decision to implement a moratorium is a continuation of, and is fully consistent with, Delta’s efforts over the last few decades to achieve our zero tolerance hazing goal.”

The national organization did not return a request for comment. Dominique Jones, the president of the Multicultural Greek Council, said in an email she did not “have any details regarding the incident” because the Multicultural Greek Council was not part of the investigation.

Delta Sigma Theta is the only multicultural Greek organization to appear on GW’s sanctions list. There are 17 multicultural Greek organizations on campus.

The list does not provide details of the incident or when the investigation was completed. Earlier this fall, Greek leaders called on the University to provide more information about hazing sanctions because the current website does not indicate the severity of the incidents.

Center for Student Engagement Director Tim Miller and Christina Witkowicki, director of Greek life, declined to say when the investigation into Delta Sigma Theta was completed or provide details about the hazing incident.

The University “promptly addresses” incidents that lead to misconduct charges, said University spokesman Steven Taubenkibel.

“When a case involving an organization results in a finding of misconduct, the University shares all information made available regarding the case on the student organizations website,” Taubenkibel said.

The group of chapters punished for hazing is now the largest to be publicly sanctioned in recent years. Kappa Alpha was charged with hazing and underage drinking in April. Last spring, Sigma Delta Tau lost its on-campus townhouse for hazing, and GW kicked Alpha Epsilon Pi off campus for 17 counts of hazing, drug and alcohol violations.

Of the 18 Greek-letter organizations that the University has sanctioned, a dozen have been punished for hosting unregistered parties.

Kappa Sigma was charged with disorderly conduct and hosting an unregistered party with alcohol in October, leaving it in poor judicial standing with the University until next year. The chapter will only be able to host a certain number of events with alcohol until next December, according to the website.

Kappa Sigma also faced sanctions for hosting an unregistered party with alcohol last fall.

GW and its national organization were investigating the chapter for misconduct as recently as last week. Mitchell Wilson, the spokesman for Kappa Sigma’s national organization, said Wednesday that the investigation was ongoing.