Muriel Bowser wins D.C. mayoral election

Jamie Finkelstein | Hatchet Photographer
The Associated Press is projecting that Muriel Bowser will be the first female D.C. mayor in two decades. Jamie Finkelstein | Hatchet Staff Photographer

Council member Muriel Bowser was elected mayor Tuesday night, becoming the first female D.C. mayor in two decades, the Associated Press reported

She had 55 percent of the vote as of 11:20 p.m., the Washington Post reported. Bowser defeated Independent candidates David Catania and Carol Schwartz. Catania is expected to come in second, and Schwartz in third.

Her victory doesn’t come as a shock to D.C., as the Washington Post reported a week and a half ago that Bowser was ahead of Catania by at least 17 points.

Bowser’s platform includes reforming middle schools in the area by 2020, improving public safety by reaching out to young people in the area and accelerating the addition of affordable housing in the city.

Bowser has made her D.C. roots a theme of her campaign. Her father was a member of an Advisory Neighborhood Commission, and she grew up in Ward 4, which she represents on the Council. She took Adrian Fenty’s Council seat when he became mayor in 2007.

Bowser celebrates Tuesday night. Jamie Finkelstein | Hatchet Photographer
Bowser celebrates Tuesday night. Jamie Finkelstein | Hatchet Staff Photographer

President Barack Obama endorsed Bowser in October. She also picked up an endorsement from embattled Council member and former mayor Marion Barry, as well as musician Pharrell.

Bowser received an endorsement from The Washington Post’s editorial board in both the primary and the general election.

The mayoral race did not feature any Republicans this year. Catania, an At-Large Council member, chairs the Council’s education committee, and Schwartz, a former Republican, served 16 years on the Council.

Catania, the first openly gay Council member, switched from the Republican to Independent party after former President George W. Bush advocated for a constitutional amendment to ban gay marriage.

In the last month of her campaign, Bowser had nearly $1 million to spend, almost double what Catania had raised, the Post reported.

In April, Bowser defeated GW alumnus and incumbent Mayor Vincent Gray in the Democratic primary, with 44 percent of the vote.