Sigma Chi raises record-breaking $84,000 for cancer research

Eric Estroff, president of Sigma Chi, helped bring in $84,000 during the chapter's philanthropy. Hatchet File Photo by Sam Hardgrove | Hatchet Staff Photographer
Eric Estroff, the president of Sigma Chi, helped raise $84,000 with his chapter. Hatchet File Photo by Sam Hardgrove | Hatchet Staff Photographer
This post was written by Hatchet reporter Henry Klapper.

Sigma Chi raised a record-breaking $84,000 during the chapter’s Derby Days philanthropy, which wrapped up Tuesday.

That total is $3,000 more than what the chapter brought in last year, which was at the time the largest amount ever raised by a Greek organization. The money will go to the Huntsman Cancer Institute, said Eric Estroff, the president of the chapter.

The philanthropy, to which the chapter dedicates a week every year like all other Greek organizations on campus, included pledge drives, apparel sales and about a dozen corporate sponsorships with companies like D.C. United and Zipcar, which donated a car to the fraternity for the week. Sigma Chi also hosted fundraisers with Chick-fil-A and Chipotle.

The group created several videos so members of the Greek community could share their personal experiences with cancer and to raise awareness of the philanthropy and cancer research. Estroff said his aunt survived breast cancer, and called the week “really emotional.”

“Cancer is one of those things that touches our lives very personally. This year, it was very close to my heart,” Estroff said.

One of the most successful activities during the philanthropy was a brother auction, in which sorority members could vote for fraternity brothers to take them on outings like lunches, apple picking trips or tours of the Capitol.

Estroff said the chapter set a goal of $100,000 for Derby Days this year, and plans to land more corporate sponsorships in the coming months to make up the difference.

Many sororities also joined in Derby Days, contributing a total of about $20,000, Estroff said.