Halloween in the District: Pub crawls, a mansion party and costume contests

This post was written by Hatchet reporter Regina Park.

Welcome to one of D.C.’s most exciting nights. Luckily for Halloween lovers, the city does not disappoint.

From zoos to clubs to old-fashioned creepy mansions, there’s a Halloween event for everyone in the District. After dressing up and grabbing your $3 Boorito from Chipotle, here are some places to spend the rest of your weekend.

Photo by Flickr user DeusXFlorida. CC BY 2.0

Thursday

Happy Hour Halloween PubCrawl
5 p.m. to midnight
The Front Page, 1333 New Hampshire Ave. NW
$8, 21+

With the Happy Hour Halloween PubCrawl pass, drinks will be cheaper ($2 draft beers, $3 bottles) at participating venues from Oct. 30 to Nov. 1. Checking in at The Front Page and receive a map of venues, all located in Dupont Circle area.

Night of the Living Zoo
6:30 to 10 p.m.
3001 Connecticut Ave. NW
$20 for FONZ members and $30 for nonmembers, 21+

On top of an exclusive nighttime view of animals, there’ll be a costume contest, music by DJ Squirrel, live entertainment, carousel rides, scores of vendors like DC Slices and Founders beer. Plus, when you’re done looking at the new American Buffalo, you can go hang out around Adams Morgan.

Friday

Clubs, clubs, clubs
What’s Halloween without a touch of sinful fun? Most of the clubs in the D.C. area are honoring the holiday with special decor, reduced-price drinks, professional DJs and reduced (and often free, for the ladies) admission fees. Clubs are 18+ all night, although admission prices are generally higher for the younger crowd.

Most clubs in the District will host a Halloween-themed night, but we recommend Ultrabar’s Nightmare on F Street for overall fun and cheap drinks, Opera for its variety in themes (this year’s Halloween night is called “The Purge”) and Town for craziness (It’s hosting D.C.’s largest Halloween bash with a $1,000 prize for best costume of the night).

Halloween Graveyard Jam
9 p.m. to 2 a.m.
Hard Rock Cafe, 999 E St. NW
$26, 21+

It wouldn’t be a true D.C. Halloween without the Halloween Graveyard Jam. Sponsored by Things To Do, this event normally packs the Hard Rock Cafe with more than 1,000 attendees. The Jam will have a mix of all kinds of music, as DJs spin out classics and new favorites alike. There will also be bobbing for apples, a caricaturist, drink specials and a costume contest in which the grand prize will be tickets to a Caribbean vacation.

The Mansion on O Street's five floors are filled with books, antiques and music memorabilia. Visitors can explore  Miranda Houchins | Hatchet Photographer
The Mansion on O Street’s five floors are filled with books, antiques and music memorabilia. Miranda Houchins | Hatchet Photographer

The Mansion on O Street
8 p.m.
2020 O St. NW
$30

For those who would like to do something just a bit creepy to get their Halloween fun, the Mansion on O Street is hosting its annual party on All Hallows’ Eve. Get ready for a mansion full of secret doors, eclectic decorations and hidden passages – not to mention the DJ, dancing, costume contests, treasure hunts, cash bar and chocolate fountain.