SA adds Corcoran committee to address transition concerns

At the SA Senate meeting on Monday, senators signed off on creating a committee to address Corcoran students' concerns with their transition to GW. The bill was sponsored by Garrett Mills | Hatchet Photographer
At the SA Senate meeting on Monday, senators signed off on creating a committee to address Corcoran students’ concerns with their transition to GW. The bill was sponsored by Sen. Thomas Falcigno, CCAS-U. Garrett Mills | Hatchet Photographer
The Student Association Senate created a committee dedicated to Corcoran student issues on Monday to help smooth out what senators described as the college’s rocky transition into the GW fold.

Sen. Thomas Falcigno, CCAS-U, said he decided to propose the committee after meeting with the president of the Corcoran Student Association Camila Rondon and hearing her concerns about a lack of communication between the University and its newest school.

The committee will consist of six GW senators and six Corcoran students, who will meet throughout the year to discuss ongoing problems related to the students’ transition to campus life. The addition makes the committee the fifth in the SA Senate, alongside finance, student life, leadership and academic affairs.

Falcigno said the SA will hold a town hall in November to encourage Corcoran students to open up about the largest problems they face so the committee can double down on what its priorities should be.

Rondon, who was added to the SA’s executive cabinet to serve as director of Corcoran Student Affairs earlier this year, also spoke at the beginning of the Senate meeting Monday night to describe the current issues Corcoran students face.

“There’s so many things during this transition and so many things that affect us. As students who pay to go to this school, even if we don’t get input we should know what’s going on,” Rondon said.

Executive Vice President Avra Bossov has also said she is looking into adding a potential Corcoran seat to the Senate.

Since GW absorbed the Corcoran College of Art + Design officially this summer, Corcoran students have complained that GW has had a hard time communicating with them effectively.