Osuchukwu, Doyle earn conference honors

The Colonials celebrate a point in a match earlier this season. Hatchet File Photo

This post was written by Hatchet reporter Alex Kist.

After standout performances against Saint Louis and Dayton this weekend, sophomore middle blocker Chidima Osuchukwu and junior libero Maddy Doyle both received conference honors, the league announced Monday.

Osuchukwu was named A-10 Player of the Week, and Doyle was named Co-Defensive Player of the Week.

Osuchukwu elevated her game this weekend against two of the A-10’s top teams in the Billikens and the Flyers. The honor marks Osuchukwu’s third A-10 Player of the Week award of her career.

Against Dayton, Osuchukwu racked up a career-high 30 kills and hit a blistering .474 percentage to help the Colonials knock off the previously undefeated conference leader 3-2 in a comeback victory.

Through two games, Osuchukwu tallied 45 kills on a .429 attack percentage, while racking up 12.0 total blocks (three solo, nine assists) against the opposition.

Osuchukwu is just the fifth player in program history to receive the A-10 Player of the Week for three different weeks.

Doyle was named Co-Defensive Player of the Week along with junior Janna Kafka of Dayton.

The weekly award is Doyle’s first of her career. Doyle, who leads the A-10 in digs per set (4.44), amassed 42 digs over the Colonials’ 1-1 weekend. Doyle led all players in Friday’s loss to Saint Louis with 16 digs and recorded a season-high 26 digs against Dayton on Saturday.

GW will be on the road for the next two weeks, starting with a Friday match against Davidson at 7 p.m.