Junior who fell from Shenkman Hall window recovering from injuries

Police had responded to a call of a suicide Thursday at Shenkman Hall. GW later released a statement that a student was injured in a fall from a ninth-floor window. Samuel Klein | Photo Editor
Updated: Oct. 10, 2014 at 7:20 p.m.

This post was written by Hatchet news editors Colleen Murphy and Eva Palmer.

The female junior who fell from a ninth-floor window of Shenkman Hall on Thursday is recovering from her injuries.

University spokeswoman Candace Smith said Friday morning that she could not give more information about the student’s condition. She declined to provide the student’s name.

The student was found unconscious and suffering from abrasions, apparent broken bones, possible internal injury, swelling and “other major injury,” according to a police report. She was brought to GW Hospital.

University President Steven Knapp said at a Faculty Senate meeting Friday that the student was “severely injured” by the fall.

“The student is hospitalized and recovering from those injuries, which nevertheless are serious,” Knapp said. “Obviously we are doing everything we can to support the student and her family.”

The University has “no indication that the incident was the result of a criminal act,” according to a statement released Thursday.

The Metropolitan Police Department had responded to a call of a suicide Thursday at the residence hall at 616 23rd St. City officers were on the scene investigating the incident with assistance from GW police.

Police received the call at about 4 p.m. and shut down 23rd Street between F and G streets for about two hours.

Members of the community can contact the University Counseling Center at 202-994-5300.