The Hatchet named national finalist for college journalism awards

The Hatchet's Best of Northwest guide is a finalist for the Associated Collegiate Press' multimedia feature of the year.
The Hatchet’s Best of Northwest guide is a finalist for the Associated Collegiate Press’ multimedia feature of the year.
The Associated Collegiate Press has named The GW Hatchet a national finalist for best college newspaper.

The Hatchet is one of 20 four-year, non-daily newspapers nominated for the ACP Newspaper Pacemaker, one of the highest marks in college journalism.

Four Hatchet staff members have also been named finalists for individual awards.

– Brianna Gurciullo, The Hatchet’s editor in chief, is one of three finalists for best college reporter.

Gurciullo, who served as metro news editor, was recognized for three stories she wrote about the University Police Department, crime and safety: “Security chief: Police mishandled pair of gun threats on campus this month,” “Five sexual assaults reported at GW Hospital since 2009” and “Officers say lack of oversight creates hostile work environment in UPD.”

– Sarah Ferris, a 2014 graduate who served as managing editor, is a finalist for best feature story.

The story, “After tragedies, campus begins healing process,” described the University’s reaction in the wake of three student suicides in West Hall last spring.

– In the multimedia story of the year category, the ACP recognized The Hatchet’s online visual director Zach Montellaro for his photo slideshow covering “Bark at Barcroft.” The Hatchet is also a finalist for multimedia feature for its Best of Northwest guide.

– The ACP recognized former design editor Jenna Bernick in the design of the year category for her infographic that appeared in The Hatchet’s basketball season preview.

The Hatchet has also been recognized by another national organization called the College Media Association. For the first time, two staffers have been named finalists for the prestigious Pinnacle Awards.

Then-senior forward Isaiah Armwood goes up against Duquesne defenders last season. Hatchet File Photo by Cameron Lancaster | Photo Editor

– Jeremy Diamond, the Hatchet’s digital editor, is a finalist for best news story for revealing that GW had misrepresented its admissions policy for years. He previously served as a news editor.

– Cameron Lancaster, a Hatchet photo editor, was nominated for best sports news photo with his shot of former forward Isaiah Armwood in a February 2014 game against Duquesne.

Winners will be announced at the ACP/CMA Fall National College Media Convention, which begins Oct. 29.