GW Museum to open in March

Updated: Oct. 7, 2014 at 1:28 p.m.

This post was written by assistant news editor Jacqueline Thomsen.

The GW Museum will open to the public March 21, after construction was completed this summer. Jordan McDonald | Hatchet Photographer
The GW Museum and Textile Museum will officially open to the public this spring.

The museum complex will open March 21, almost four years after the University first announced the projects. Construction was completed on the 46,000-square-foot building on the corner of 21st and G streets this summer.

“We look forward to celebrating the results of these efforts with the University community and many others when the museum opens this March,” museum director John Wetenhall said in a release. “The opening shows should be spectacular.”

The GW Museum will feature artifacts from the Textile Museum and exhibits from donor Albert Small’s Washingtoniana collection. Two of the three opening exhibits will feature items from the Washingtoniana collection, and the third will be the Textile Museum’s largest to date.

The conservation and collections resource center on the Virginia Science and Technology Campus will hold remaining museum pieces.

GW expanded the original budget and size of the facility 50 percent last May to house additional collections and exhibits. Most of the donations for the museum came from Small’s collection and the Textile Museum.

The GW Museum opened in June for a preview with 400 guests, but none of the textiles, artifacts or other exhibits had been moved into the building.

This post was updated to reflect the following correction:
The Hatchet incorrectly reported that GW decided to expand the facility’s size and budget in May. It actually did so in May 2013. We regret this error.