Delta Tau Delta raises $24,000 for member’s father

This post was written by Hatchet reporter Ellie Smith.

Junior Casey Syron is a member of Delta Tau Delta, which dedicated its fall philanthropy week to raising money for Syron's family as his father battles cancer for the fourth time. Hatchet File Photo by Katie Causey | Hatchet Staff Photographer
Delta Tau Delta dedicated its fall philanthropy week to raising money for member Casey Syron’s father. Hatchet File Photo by Katie Causey | Hatchet Staff Photographer
Delta Tau Delta raised $24,000 through its philanthropy events this week, which will support Casey Syron’s family after his dad was diagnosed with cancer for the fourth time.

The fraternity hosted fundraisers with Sweetgreen and Captain Cookie and held a cornhole tournament. About $2,000 came in during the final two hours of the campaign, which ended Tuesday, Syron said.

Syron, a junior, said he was “not surprised” by the success of the effort, which also supported rare cancer research at the Katie Moore Foundation.

“We knew that we had two amazing causes for which we were raising money and all of the brothers were very passionate about raising as much money as we could. I was more surprised how fast we raised the money,” Syron said.

Tom Syron, Casey Syron’s father, was diagnosed with stage-four stomach cancer last year, his fourth cancer diagnosis since 1988. The Syron family has struggled to pay his medical bills as he receives chemotherapy every other week and is unable to work.

Delt raised more than five times what the fraternity brought in during their week-long fundraising effort last year for juvenile diabetes. The group’s campaign to support the Syron family was picked up by the Associated Press and the Huffington Post.

“It has been Delt’s goal from the beginning to have my family’s story reach as many people as possible, and we have and still are achieving that,” Syron said. “It has been incredible to see how far the story has reached. Seeing my dad’s face on the front page of the Huffington Post is not something that happens every day.”

The Syron family and friends are now using the Twitter hashtag #SyronsOnEllen in an effort to be featured on “The Ellen Degeneres Show,” Syron said.