Your Week: A guide to all Banned Books Week festivities

This post was written by Hatchet staff writer Tim Palmieri.

Discover the rebel in you – well, kind of – and join D.C. in celebrating Banned Books Week. Check out our selection of banned-books-related events, plus other must-sees in music, art and film happening this week.

Monday

A piece of newspaper "blackout poetry," a poetry form that will be showcased at "Banned Books Bash." Photo by Flickr user Carla Gates under a CC BY-SA 2.0 license.
A piece of newspaper “blackout poetry.” Photo by Flickr user Carla Gates under a CC BY-SA 2.0 license.

Banned Books Bash at Northeast Library: The Northeast Library presents a twist on the Banned Books Week theme of censorship with “Banned Books Bash,” an event featuring blackout poetry along with literary character parodies. Banned-book readers will even get the chance to have their own mug shots taken at the event.
Northeast Library, 330 7th St. NE, 5 p.m. Free.

“Earthbound” film screening at Busboys and Poets: Cafe and community culture hub Busboys and Poets makes Monday a day to look forward to with a free screening of the 2012 sci-fi comedy “Earthbound,” the story of an ordinary guy who thinks he’s an alien. Grab a bite of the cafe’s famous grub and enjoy the show, which stars David Morrissey of “The Walking Dead.”
Busboys and Poets, 2021 14th St. NW. Screening begins at 7 p.m. Free.

Tuesday

Uncensored: Artist Talk at the Martin Luther King Jr. Memorial Library: The local artists contributing to “Uncensored: The Art Exhibition,” a week-long exhibit on display at the Martin Luther King Jr. Memorial Library through Oct. 15, will discuss the impact of censorship on art along with the theme of censorship in their own works.
Martin Luther King Jr. Memorial Library, 901 G St. NW, 6:30 p.m. Free.

“Take an Om Break” Yoga at the Georgetown Neighborhood Library: Take a break from the hectic school week with a free yoga class, courtesy of the Georgetown Neighborhood Library. Experts from D.C.’s Yoga Activist outreach program will teach a free class every Tuesday. Be sure to RSVP by email to the event, which accommodates 30 participants per week. Namaste.
Georgetown Neighborhood Library, 3260 R St. NW, 12:30 p.m. Free, RSVP required.

Wednesday

A library aisle showcasing banned books. Photo by Flickr user Quinn Dombrowski under a CC BY-SA 2.0 license.

I Read Banned Comics at the Northeast Library: This Banned Books Week, the Northeast Library will celebrate comics and graphic novels. Whether you’re a novice graphic novel reader or comic book-aficionado, head over to the library to talk about your favorites and hear suggestions from others.
Northeast Library, 330 7th St. NE, 7 p.m. Free.

“Ceibadanza” dance performance at the Kennedy Center: The Ecuadorian dance company “Ceibazanza” will come to the Kennedy Center for a free performance Wednesday, featuring folkloric themes and traditional Ecuadorian clothing.
The Kennedy Center, 2700 F St. NW, 6 p.m. Free.

Thursday

Flash Banned: Freedom of Speech Showcase preview performance: In this preview performance of Saturday’s “Flash Banned: Freedom of Speech Showcase,” three bands will each perform a 15-minute set, including an original song based on the theme of censorship. Check out the full performance Saturday to hear from five other bands, with punny titles like “ContraBand” and “The Subversives.”
Martin Luther King Jr. Memorial Library, 901 G St. NW. 7 p.m. Tickets: $15.

Can I Kick It? at Marvin: This free event catered to martial arts enthusiasts will include screenings of the films “Drunken Master” and “Black Belt Jones” in addition to hip-hop, funk, soul and cinema sound bites mixed live by DJ 2-Tone Jones. Artwork depicting martial arts will also be on display.
The Marvin, 2007 14th St. NW, 8 p.m. Free.

Scandal Premiere Party for YWCA USA! at Jake’s American Grille:
tumblr_n92wyne7bf1qkuz88o1_500Jake’s American Grille is celebrating the new season of scandal for those 21 and older with raffles by local vendors, scandal-themed trivia and an Olivia Pope look-a-like contest. A portion of the proceeds will go to YWCA USA, which has a mission to empower women and end racism. Have a great time and support a great cause.
Jake’s American Grille, 5018 Connecticut Ave. NW, 7 p.m. Free.