Nearly 600 students receive sorority bids in largest-ever recruitment

Sam Hardgrove | Hatchet Staff Photographer

A record number of students joined GW’s 11 sororities this year, flocking to their new chapters Tuesday in a noisy, colorful celebration on the National Mall.

Nearly 600 women received bids from sorority chapters this year, the largest amount ever. Last fall, 507 women got bids.

“I got my bid and literally dropped to the floor like I lost feeling in my body. When I got the house I wanted, Alpha Phi, [it was an] unreal feeling,” said freshman Mia Svirsky.

A total of 719 women registered for recruitment this year, part of a surge in interested students over the last four years. The number of students to register for recruitment has increased 16 percent since 2010.

Members of Greek life now make up about 30 percent of the undergraduate student population.

Kasey Packer, president of the Panhellenic Association, which governs sorority life, said the boost in membership stemmed in part from a “record number” of information sessions during Colonial Inauguration this summer.

The Panhellenic Association also started a social media campaign this fall for members to “share their stories about why they went Greek,” Packer said. And for the first time this year, the team that organizes fall recruitment had a member who focused on emailing parents of incoming students.

“The Panhellenic Association, Interfraternity Council and Multicultural Greek Council were adamant about getting our foot in their door and showing incoming freshmen just how beneficial Greek life can be,” Packer said.

She said Greek life is an “untapped resource” in making change on campus and bringing about new ideas.

“For years, we have been bogged down by negative stereotypes. But like all stereotypes, the actions of a few do not represent the entire population,” Packer said.

This fall, the Greek community has taken a strong public stance against campus sexual violence after a sexual assault was reported in the Phi Sigma Kappa house earlier this month.