Science and Engineering Hall to open one month ahead of schedule

Faculty and researchers will start moving into the Science and Engineering Hall this December. Hatchet file photo.
Faculty and researchers will start moving into the Science and Engineering Hall this December. Hatchet File Photo.
Faculty will start moving into the Science and Engineering Hall this December, about a month earlier than expected, the University announced Monday.

The $275 million hall will begin holding classes next spring, with guidance from the building’s manager, Alex Weller. She’ll be responsible for overseeing the day-to-day activities in research labs, classrooms and a basement aquatic suite.

“The design team met with researchers, faculty and staff during the design process to make sure that the facility meets their needs, and it is truly a collaborative environment,” Weller said in a release. “I am excited to manage operations and become a part of what the university is doing academically through research.”

The announcement comes after an attorney for Clark Construction raised concerns that the project would be delayed in July, when a subcontractor that Clark hired to complete electrical work filed for bankruptcy.

Construction for the building, located at 21st and H streets, began in 2011. It’s the University’s largest academic commitment in recent history.