Understanding Greek lingo

Pi Rho Chi (Panhellenic Recruitment Counselor): Pi Rho Chis guide students through recruitment, offering advice and answering questions. Every potential new member is assigned to two Pi Rho Chis at the start of recruitment.

Recruitment vs. Rush: These terms are commonly misused – they do not mean the same thing. Sororities go through recruitment. Fraternities go through rush. It’s that simple.

God-Damn Independent (GDI): Skipping out on Greek life makes you a GDI. The term is also used to label those who outwardly criticize all things Greek.

Bid: If the word “bid” makes you think of an auction, it’s no mistake. On the last day of recruitment, potential new members (if they’re lucky) will be offered a bid – an invitation from a sorority or fraternity to join their organization.

Big, little: A big is a sophomore, junior or senior member of a Greek organization who takes on a little (a new member, usually a freshman). The little is then part of the big’s family, which extends back throughout the organization’s history.

Potential New Member (PNM): This one’s pretty straightforward. If you’re looking to join a sorority but are still going through the recruitment process, you’re a PNM.

Pledge: Someone who has accepted a bid from a fraternity or sorority but has not yet been initiated into that chapter. They’re still waiting for the robes and chants.

Initiation: A ritual-filled ceremony where pledges learn the traditions of their sorority or fraternity and commit to being a member.

Philanthropy: Every national organization for sororities and fraternities choose a specific a charitable cause that their chapters nationwide support through fundraisers and volunteer work.