GW falls for third consecutive year in U.S. News college rankings

GW slipped two spots to No. 54 in U.S. News & World Report’s annual rankings of the nation’s best colleges Tuesday, the third straight year the University has dropped on the list.

U.S. News ranked colleges based on data for the class admitted in 2013, rather than the University’s most recent admissions cycle, which saw GW admit 43 percent of applicants – a 10-point increase from the year before. GW dropped to its current slot over the last three years after hitting its top spot at No. 50 in 2011.

GW shares the No. 54 spot with Ohio State, Pepperdine and Tulane universities. GW, Ohio State and Tulane all tied last year, as well.

But The University of Washington and the University of Texas at Austin, which both tied with GW last year, passed GW to come in at No. 48 and No. 53, respectively, this year.

Princeton University claimed the top spot for the second year in a row.

U.S. News stripped GW of its No. 51 ranking in 2012 after officials admitted they had inflated admissions data for more than a decade.

The magazine also ranked several schools in the top half of the rankings in a separate “Best Value” list, though GW did not make the cut. Pepperdine University snagged the No. 24 spot on that list.

U.S. News stuck with the same methodology it used last year to compile the 2015 list. Last year, it decided to give less weight to areas like the percentage of incoming students in the top of their high school class.