GW names head coach for women’s lacrosse

Then freshman Olivia Boudreau attempts to run past a Bucknell player last season. Hatchet File Photo
Then-freshman Olivia Boudreau tried to run past a Bucknell player last season. Hatchet File Photo

The women’s lacrosse team has a new head coach.

Athletic Director Patrick Nero announced Monday that Tracy Coyne will assume the position after former coach Tara Hannaford left the program for personal reasons in early August.

Coyne, who was the 2006 NCAA Division I Coach of the Year, brings 25 years of coaching experience to GW, including 265 career wins, which ranks 11th all-time among women coaches in the NCAA.

“Her passion for the sport, reputation and history of winning makes her a great fit for GW, and we are very fortunate to employ her services,” Nero said in a release.

Coyne joins the Colonials after a season serving as the assistant coach at Dartmouth College and head coach at Washington and Jefferson College in 2013. Coyne also spent a season as an assistant coach at Duquesne in 2012

Coyne, who will be the lacrosse team’s fourth head coach in the program’s 14-year history, is best known for her time at Notre Dame, where she coached 15 seasons. Taking control of the Fighting Irish’s program at its inception in 1996, Coyne transformed the team into a national contender. During her fifteen years in South Bend, she amassed a Big East Conference Championship in 2009, two NCAA Championship Quarterfinal appearances and a trip to the Final Four. Coyne was also named Big East Coach of the Year three times (2004, 2006 and 2008) while at Notre Dame.

She spent two seasons as the head coach at Denison University from 1987-89, and seven years as head coach at Roanoke College.

Coyne also served as the head coach of the Canadian Women’s National Team from 1999-2005.

GW went 7-9 last season, missing the playoffs after two consecutive postseason appearances in 2012 and 2013.