University and Corcoran finalize merger details

GW signed off on final agreements with the Corcoran College of Art + Design Thursday. Hatchet File Photo.
GW signed final agreements with the Corcoran College of Art + Design on Thursday. Hatchet File Photo.
GW and the Corcoran College of Art + Design finalized their landmark merger Thursday, several days after a D.C. Superior Court judge approved the plans.

The deal, now complete after a month of hearings in D.C. court, will bring about 180 undergraduate students to GW. The Corcoran will no longer charge admission to its 17th Street gallery starting Friday, according to a release.

Corcoran students will continue to take classes, which start Aug. 27 for them, in the Corcoran’s building. They will also have access to GW services and facilities.

GW has offered housing to freshmen and sophomore Corcoran students in University residence halls, while juniors and seniors can choose to have their names placed on a wait list, according to the Corcoran’s website.

“These inaugural activities, as stated in the February partnership agreements, are just the beginning of the implementation of the agreements, which ensure that the historic building remains a showplace for art and a home for the Corcoran school and its programs, creating a global hub for the arts at GW,” the release from GW, the Corcoran and the National Gallery of Art read.

The National Gallery of Art, the third player in the merger, will renovate the second floor of the gallery, which will host exhibitions of modern art and works from the Corcoran’s collection, according to the release.

The gallery will close Oct. 1 for construction. GW will pay $25 million for initial renovations to the building, though total costs could eventually reach $80 million.