Now hiring: work study jobs from archeological research to theater

Samuel Klein | Senior Photo Editor
Samuel Klein | Senior Photo Editor

Media Credit: Samuel Klein | Senior Photo Editor
Not every work study job needs to be boring – some will take you away from the Marvin Center and to the Smithsonian Institution.

With GW’s sticker price, financial aid package notifications can be the most anticipated emails of the summer. For many students, part of the package is a federal work study job. And while not everyone has time to balance a part-time job with a full course schedule, students who accept work study positions will be scrambling to find the best ones at the beginning of the semester. We’ve combed through the pages of jobs on GWork for some unique options that’ll be worth your time.

Archaeological Research Assistant
One of the biggest draws to D.C. is the Smithsonian Institution. The anthropology department, which is within walking distance of Foggy Bottom, offers a basic entry-level job that will, admittedly, have you completing simple and somewhat boring tasks such as data entry and publication scanning.

But the position makes up for it by allowing you to complete lab work and research for publication. Plus, with a wage of $12 an hour, this is a federal work study job tailor-made for anyone with even remote interest in archaeology or anthropology.

DC Reads Tutor
Working as a DC Reads tutor may not be the easiest job on GWork. But for those looking to build relationships with young students, it can be the perfect place to do so while earning money. With opportunities at schools across the city, DC Reads can keep you close to Foggy Bottom or have you checking out different neighborhoods like Tenleytown or NoMa.

At $9.50 an hour, this isn’t the highest-paying work study job, but watching young readers finally grasp the elementary school curriculum is pretty rewarding in itself.

MVC Events Audiovisual Technician
This might be the most technological job offered on GWork, and it only requires a short ride to the Mount Vernon Campus. Whether you already know the ins and outs of audiovisual equipment or are looking to become more tech-savvy, this job could be a good fit.

The University offers training sessions if your only experience with audiovisual equipment is helping your parents figure out their new Blu-ray player. The job pays $11 an hour.

Theatre & Dance Production Assistant
If you enjoyed in theater in high school or are looking for experience in theater production, consider applying for this assistant position.

You’ll have to do some physical labor, including scene construction, painting and lighting, but for $9.50 an hour, it could be worth it.