Kappa Alpha and Pi Kappa Phi land on list of sanctioned Greek chapters

The University added two social Greek chapters to its list of sanctioned student groups this summer, bringing the total to 17 Greek-letter organizations.

Kappa Alpha joins four other Greek chapters that GW has sanctioned for hazing since last December, according to the website. The chapter also faced sanctions for underage drinking, and is no longer in good judicial standing with the University.

Kappa Alpha received a townhouse on 22nd Street in February after the University booted Alpha Epsilon Pi from campus for hazing, drug violations, alcohol violations and causing thousands of dollars in damages to the townhouse.

In April, the University charged Pi Kappa Phi with hosting unregistered parties with alcohol. The group will be able to host a limited number of events with alcohol until the end of December, according to the website.

University spokesman Kurtis Hiatt declined to provide details of the incidents or comment on whether Kappa Alpha would lose its townhouse. Hiatt also declined repeated requests to comment on Kappa Alpha hazing allegations in April.

Jesse Lyons, a spokesman for Kappa Alpha’s national organization, said in an email Wednesday that the organization “respectfully disagrees” with GW’s decision to sanction the entire chapter for hazing.

“While an individual or individuals may have been involved in hazing activities, Kappa Alpha Order does not support the University findings that the chapter was involved as an organization,” Lyons said.

The chapters’ presidents and Peyton Zere, the president of the Interfraternity Council, did not return requests for comment. Both chapters also received written warnings from the University.

GW has for months waited to provide details about hazing or misconduct in the Greek community, deferring to the list of sanctions that it published in May. The list, which names all sanctioned student organizations, does not provide details about the incidents that led to the sanctions.

Administrators directed freshmen to the list during Colonial Inauguration, when freshmen can attend a Greek Night to learn about the organizations and how to join in the fall.