GW holds on to most politically active campus title

The Princeton Review named GW the most politically active campus in the country for the second year in a row while other D.C. colleges dropped several spots in the rankings released Monday.

Georgetown and American universities dropped from No. 3 and No. 4 in the annual ranking of politically engaged student bodies to No. 9 and No. 10, respectively.

Whether it’s interning at the White House or taking a semester off to work on a campaign, GW students have earned a reputation for political activism within and outside the Beltway.

And that activism doesn’t stop after graduation, as alumni go on to work on Capitol Hill or become political leaders themselves.

Former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton spoke at Lisner Auditorium in June. File Photo by Desiree Halpern | Senior Staff Photographer

Maybe that’s what happens when GW frequently hosts politicians and other U.S. officials like former Secretaries of State Colin Powell and Hillary Clinton, who both spoke on campus this summer.

The University also came in at No. 5 for “College City Gets High Marks,” falling two places from last year. Boston University clinched the top spot in the category, while Georgetown slid to No. 13.

Princeton Review recognized GW’s study abroad program and on-campus housing as the 14th and 12th best in the nation, respectively.

The University came under scrutiny last summer after residents complained about living conditions to a local TV station and created a Facebook page called “GW Housing Horrors.”

GW has since promised to upgrade residence halls more regularly, and several halls are undergoing renovations this summer.

Princeton Review releases annual rankings in 62 different categories based on student surveys.