GW lands at No. 214 in Money magazine ranking

Updated: July 30, 2014 at 11:39 a.m.

GW came in at No. 214 in a new college ranking focusing on graduates’ return on investment

Money magazine’s college ranking sorted schools based on graduation rates, average student debt and expected earnings.

GW beat out Boston, New York and American universities in the list of 655 colleges, but didn’t come close to its own No. 52 U.S. News & World Report ranking.

Georgetown University, meanwhile, bested GW and its peer schools, claiming the No. 37 spot.

Money magazine makes its case for GW’s ranking, pointing out the $170,864 net cost of a degree and the average $47,500 annual salary graduates can expect within five years of graduating.

Vanderbilt University’s ranking speaks to Money magazine’s methodology. Five years after attending No.50-ranked Vanderbilt University, graduates will earn an average $52,100 annually after shelling out a net price of $160,791.

In 2007, GW became the first school in the country to charge students more than $50,000 for total cost of attendance.

This post was updated to reflect the following correction:
The Hatchet incorrectly reported that GW was the first college in the nation to charge more than $50,000 in tuition. It was actually the first school to charge more than $50,000 for total cost of attendance. We regret this error.