Kastles close out Smith Center stay with trip to WTT Finals

After the match, Bobby Reynolds announced that he will retire following Sundays WTT National Championship match. Reynolds spent five years on the Kastles. Zach Montellaro | Hatchet Staff Photographer
After the match, Bobby Reynolds announced that he will retire following Sunday’s WTT National Championship match. Reynolds spent five years on the Kastles. Zach Montellaro | Hatchet Staff Photographer

The Washington Kastles finished their home matches in the Smith Center with a win Thursday that will send them to the Mylan World TeamTennis Finals.

The Kastles needed an overtime game to take down the Philadelphia Freedoms 21-16 and win the Eastern Conference Championship.

After the match, roster mainstay Bobby Reynolds announced he would retire from team tennis after the finals to spend more time with his family. Reynolds spent five years with the Kastles, leading the team to three-straight national titles.

Martina Hingis high-fives children on her way to the court. Zach Montellaro | Hatchet Staff Photographer
With young local tennis players cheering her on, Martina Hingis makes her way to the court. Zach Montellaro | Hatchet Staff Photographer
Tennis Hall of Famer Billie Jean King cheers on the Philidelphia Freedoms, the team she owns. Zach Montellaro | Hatchet Staff Photographer
Tennis Hall of Famer Billie Jean King, who owns the Philadelphia Freedoms, visited the Smith Center to support her team. Zach Montellaro | Hatchet Staff Photographer
Bobby Reynolds of the Washington Kastles returns a serve. Reynolds won the men's singles set 5-3. Zach Montellaro | Hatchet Staff Photographer
Bobby Reynolds of the Washington Kastles returns a serve. Reynolds won the men’s singles set 5-3. Zach Montellaro | Hatchet Staff Photographer
Leander Paes serves past his partner Martina Hingis. The pair won the mixed doubles set 5-2. Zach Montellaro | Hatchet Staff Photographer
Bobby Reynolds, Anastasia Rodionova and coach Murphy Jensen cheer after the Kastles scored a point. Zach Montellaro | Hatchet Staff Photographer
Bobby Reynolds, Anastasia Rodionova and coach Murphy Jensen look on as the Kastles score a point. Zach Montellaro | Hatchet Staff Photographer
After her partner left the match with an injury Taylor Townsend of the Philadelphia Freedoms continued the women's doubles set one her own. The Freedoms lost the set 1-5. Zach Montellaro | Hatchet Staff Photographer
After her partner left the match with an injury, Taylor Townsend of the Philadelphia Freedoms continued the women’s doubles set on her own. The Freedoms lost the set 1-5. Zach Montellaro | Hatchet Staff Photographer
Leander Paes serves the ball in the men's doubles set. Paes and his partner Bobby Reynolds won the set, but would ultimately win in overtime to win the Eastern Conference Championships for the Kastles. Zach Montellaro | Hatchet Staff Photographer
Leander Paes serves the ball in the men’s doubles set. Paes and partner Bobby Reynolds lost the set, but ultimately won in overtime, clinching the Eastern Conference Championships for the Kastles. Zach Montellaro | Hatchet Staff Photographer
Leander Paes of the Washington Kastles stretches to return a serve. Zach Montellaro | Hatchet Staff Photographer
The Kastles react after winning the WTT Eastern Conference Championship. They will look to win their fourth straight National Championship on Sunday. Zach Montellaro | Hatchet Staff Photographer
The Kastles react after winning the WTT Eastern Conference Championship. The team will compete in its fourth-straight WTT Finals on Sunday. Zach Montellaro | Hatchet Staff Photographer
After the match, Bobby Reynolds announced that he will retire following Sunday's WTT National Championship match. Reynolds spent five years on the Kastles. Zach Montellaro | Hatchet Staff Photographer
After the match, Bobby Reynolds announced he would retire following the WTT Finals. Reynolds spent five years playing for the Kastles. Zach Montellaro | Hatchet Staff Photographer
Washington Kastles give Bobby Reynolds a standing ovation after he announced his impending retirement. Zach Montellaro | Hatchet Staff Photographer
The Washington Kastles give Bobby Reynolds a standing ovation after he announced his retirement. Zach Montellaro | Hatchet Staff Photographer

The Kastles will face Western Conference Championship winners the Springfield Lasers, who the Kastles defeated Tuesday in front of First Lady Michelle Obama.

The match will be streamed live Sunday at 5 p.m. on ESPN3.com before moving to ESPN2 at 6 p.m.