Former women’s basketball star finishes first professional season

Tara Booker Hatchet File Photo.
Former women’s basketball player Tara Booker is tied for 19th in all-time total points for the Colonials. Hatchet File Photo
Former women’s basketball star Tara Booker finished her freshman season of professional basketball overseas earlier this summer, with her first year out of college taking her from Luxembourg to Australia.

Booker began her pro career with Telstar Hesperange, a team in the upper tier of Luxembourg’s second division, just in time for the playoffs in January. During the playoffs, the strongest second-division teams take on teams ranked near the bottom of the first division with a chance to move up if they win.

In the final game necessary to advance, Booker led her team with 26 points, 11 rebounds and four blocks to beat Sparta Bertrange 58-49.

In the six games she played during the regular season, Booker averaged a team-best 17 points, 14 rebounds, 2.3 steals and 1.5 blocks.

Booker earned a master’s degree in organizational sciences from GW in 2013 after five years as a Colonial. She became the first player in team history to rack up 1,000 points, 700 rebounds, 100 blocks and 150 steals. She’s tied for 19th in all-time total points for the Colonials with 1,180 points.

With three days off from basketball each week while in Luxembourg, the Galloway, N.J. native used her spare time to explore the small country bordered by Belgium, Germany and France and other parts of Western Europe.

“Every weekend I could go to a different place. I went to Brussels, Paris, Amsterdam, a couple different places in Germany,” Booker said in a release. “Basketball has truly blessed me with the opportunity to travel, explore, learn and meet some amazing people.”

After three months, Booker traveled to Australia, where she played for the semi-professional Bulleen Boomers in Melbourne for six weeks. She averaged 17.7 points, 11.3 rebounds and 2.3 blocks, and shot 55.8 percent from the floor over three games.

“The competition in Australia was great,” she said in the release. “We had an awesome point guard and a great big body [inside] that left me open to shoot.”