Photos: Venus Williams takes to Smith Center court for Washington Kastles

The Smith Center hosted a sold out crowd of tennis fans as the Washington Kastles took down the Texas Wild 3-2. Zach Montellaro | Hatchet Staff Photographer

The Washington Kastles are calling Foggy Bottom home this month, bringing a professional tennis team to the Smith Center for the first time in nearly 25 years. With more than 3,000 seats for fans, the stadium will host the Kastles for home matches up to July 22.

Former World No. 1 player Venus Williams stepped onto the court Wednesday, winning a doubles set with a longtime rival but losing a singles set later in the night. The Kastles won 3-2 overall against the Texas Wild.

The Smith Center hosted a sold-out crowd as the Washington Kastles took down the Texas Wild 3-2. Zach Montellaro | Hatchet Staff Photographer
Venus Williams stretches to return a hit in the women's singles set. Williams would lose the set 5-4 to Anabel Medina Garrigues of the Texas Wild. Zach Montellaro | Hatchet Staff Photographer
Venus Williams stretches to return a hit in the women’s singles set. Williams would lose the set 5-4 to Anabel Medina Garrigues of the Texas Wild. Zach Montellaro | Hatchet Staff Photographer
Bobby Reynolds returns a hit. Reynolds won the men's singles set 5-4. Zach Montellaro | Hatchet Staff Photographer
Bobby Reynolds returns a hit. Reynolds won the men’s singles set 5-4. Zach Montellaro | Hatchet Staff Photographer
Tim Smyczek of Texas Wild returns a serve. Smyczek would drop the men's singles set 5-4 to Bobby Reynolds. Zach Montellaro | Hatchet Staff Photographer
Tim Smyczek of Texas Wild returns a serve. Smyczek would drop the men’s singles set 5-4 to Bobby Reynolds. Zach Montellaro | Hatchet Staff Photographer
Venus Williams returned to the Washington Kastles after missing last season with injuries. Zach Montellaro | Hatchet Staff Photographer
Bobby Reynolds and Leander Paes celebrate after winning the men's doubles set 5-2. Their win clinched the Washington Kastle's win over the Texas Wild. Zach Montellaro | Hatchet Staff Photographer
Bobby Reynolds and Leander Paes celebrate after winning the men’s doubles set 5-2. Their win clinched the Washington Kastle’s win over the Texas Wild. Zach Montellaro | Hatchet Staff Photographer
Bobby Reynolds of the Washington Kastles serves the ball in the men's doubles set, the final set of the night. Zach Montellaro | Hatchet Staff Photographer
Bobby Reynolds of the Washington Kastles serves the ball in the men’s doubles set, the final set of the night. Zach Montellaro | Hatchet Staff Photographer
Venus WIlliams returns a serve in the women's doubles match. The Kastles would win that set 5-2. Zach Montellaro | Hatchet Staff Photographer
Venus Williams returns a serve in the women’s doubles match. The Kastles would win that set 5-2. Zach Montellaro | Hatchet Staff Photographer
Coach Murphy Jensen talks to players Venus Williams and Martina Hingis. The two former rivals would team up in the women's doubles set, winning 5-2. Zach Montellaro | Hatchet Staff Photographer
Coach Murphy Jensen talks to players Venus Williams and Martina Hingis. The two former rivals teamed up in the women’s doubles set, winning 5-2. Zach Montellaro | Hatchet Staff Photographer
Bobby Reynolds pumps his fist after clinching the men's singles set 5-4. Zach Montellaro | Hatchet Staff Photographer
Bobby Reynolds pumps his fist after clinching the men’s singles set 5-4. Zach Montellaro | Hatchet Staff Photographer
The Texas Wild bench reacts to Tim Smyczek scoring a point. Zach Montellaro | Hatchet Staff Photographer
Venus WIlliams prepares to return a serve during the women's singles set. Zach Montellaro | Hatchet Staff Photographer
Venus Williams prepares to return a serve during the women’s singles set. Zach Montellaro | Hatchet Staff Photographer
Bobby Reynolds returns the ball. Reynolds won the men's singles set for the Kastles 5-4. Zach Montellaro | Hatchet Staff Photographer
Bobby Reynolds returns the ball. Reynolds won the men’s singles set for the Kastles 5-4. Zach Montellaro | Hatchet Staff Photographer
Before the match, the Kastles hosted a tennis clinic for local children. Zach Montellaro | Hatchet Staff Photographer
Venus Williams plays tennis with local children at a Kastles-hosted clinic. Zach Montellaro | Hatchet Staff Photographer
Venus Williams plays tennis with local children at the clinic. Zach Montellaro | Hatchet Staff Photographer

Tickets for home matches start at $8 and can be purchased online. The Kastles will next play the Boston Lobsters, followed by the Springfield Lasers.