One-third of Corcoran faculty, staff face unemployment

The Corcoran handed pink slips to all of its employees, and about one-third have not yet found other employment. File Photo by Hatchet Staff Photographer Zach Montellaro.
One in three Corcoran employees will likely be without a job next month as the art school becomes a part of GW.

The Corcoran handed pink slips to all of its 465 employees, but about a third already have other jobs lined up and the other third will keep their positions under new management, the Washington Business Journal reported. More than 150 employees, mostly part-time faculty and staff, will be scrambling for a paycheck after Aug. 16.

Corcoran’s full-time professors will continue teaching at GW, and the National Gallery of Art will employ its curators. Corcoran officials have said that the remaining employees have already found work elsewhere.

A D.C. government website first posted a notice about the layoffs in June.

Details about the deal have left some Corcoran College of Art + Design students uneasy about the transition away from a tight-knit community, even prompting one advocacy group to try to stop the merger.

GW’s Columbian College of Arts and Sciences will absorb Corcoran’s 550 students starting this fall, and students enrolling as early as 2015 could see changes to their curriculum – with more math and science requirements.