The top five events you can only experience in D.C. or at GW

1. Inaugural Ball

January 2017
If you attend GW, odds are you’ll spend time debating politics, playing drinking games during presidential debates or perhaps volunteering for a campaign. This black-tie event is the best way to celebrate the inauguration, with dance performances, live music and enough refreshments to revel in your party’s victory or forget your candidate’s defeat. It’s like prom, but we’re the only college students in the city that have one.

2. Cherry Blossom Festival

March 20 through April 12, 2015
You’ll learn there’s nothing like D.C. in the spring, so head out to this annual festival marking the start of the season for endless Instagram opportunities and outdoor events.

Media Credit: Hatchet File Photo
Students cheer in front of the White House on election night after President Barack Obama secured a second term in November 2012.

3. Presidential Election

November 2016
It starts with picking your team and ends with running to the White House regardless of who wins. The presidential campaign season promises to electrify one of the most politically active student bodies in the nation. Die-hard Democrat or Republican? You won’t be alone if you take a semester off to help send your candidate to the Oval Office.

Media Credit: Hatchet File Photo
Seattle-based rapper Macklemore headlined last year’s Spring Fling.

4. Spring Fling

Spring 2015
Celebrate the end of classes – and your last hurrah before finals week – with this annual free concert. No word yet on who will headline the 2015 show, but that act will join the ranks of Jay Sean, Macklemore & Ryan Lewis and Childish Gambino.

5. TEDxFoggyBottom

February 2015
Since 2012, students have organized – and even been featured in – this event on campus, where speakers of all ages and professions share experiences and life lessons with the audience.