The good news and bad news about local grocery stores

Cameron Lancaster | Photo Editor
Cameron Lancaster | Photo Editor

Media Credit: Cameron Lancaster | Photo Editor
Whole Foods is one of the closest grocery stores to the Foggy Bottom campus and accepts GWorld.

1. Whole Foods

2201 I St. NW

Good news – Location, location, location. The quality is good and Whole Foods has tons of options, from the hot bar to meals you can easily make in your residence hall. Plus, the store is now open until 11 p.m.
Bad news – It can be pricey and the lines are killer during the lunch rush and dinnertime.

2. Trader Joe’s

101 25th St. NW

Good news – Cheap organic food is a strong draw, making Trader Joe’s a standout grocery option. The store has great produce and even better wine.
Bad news – Trader Joe’s is a decent walk from campus, especially if you live in Thurston Hall, but it’s probably worth the trip for some chocolate peanut butter cupcakes.

3. Safeway

4865 MacArthur Blvd. NW or 1855 Wisconsin Ave. NW

Good news – One of the perks of living on the Mount Vernon Campus, the Safeway on MacArthur Boulevard has great prices and a wide selection.
Bad news – It is far from Foggy Bottom, but thankfully the Vex will take you most of the way. There is another Safeway on Wisconsin Avenue in Georgetown, but don’t count on anything other than Uber, Lyft or a cab to get you and your haul home.

4. Costco

1200 South Fern St. Arlington, Va.

Good news – You can buy in bulk.
Bad news – The store is in Pentagon City, and getting back on the Metro can be a challenge, especially if you get carried away with all the great deals. Bring extra bags and boxes to hold everything. Shoppers also need a membership card, so you’ll need to swipe mom’s before you leave home.

5. Giant

1400 7th St. NW or 1345 Park Rd. NW

Good news – It’s a familiar grocery store for some and pretty typical as far as options, variety and prices go.
Bad news – The closest stores are in Logan Circle or Columbia Heights, making them not the most accessible of the bunch.