Spitting game: a cheat sheet for GW athletics vocabulary

Media Credit: Hatchet file photo Andrew Goodman | Hatchet Photographer
Following volleyball’s upset against VCU in October, fans rushed the court to celebrate with the team.

Raise high (verb): GW’s athletics slogan. The phrase is taken from student Eugene Sweeney’s original fight song “Buff and Blue.” Unlike Alabama’s “Roll Tide” or Michigan’s “Go Big Blue,” the Colonials’ phrase – focused on raising the bar and representing your school – has a strong social media focus, with “#RaiseHigh” lining the baseline of the Smith Center court.

Colonial Army (noun): The official GW fan section. Last year the group removed the $20 joining fee, allowing students to register online for free. Omnipresent at basketball games in the bottom-middle stands of the student section, the Colonial Army also makes appearances at other major GW sporting events from time to time. If the men’s basketball team makes it to the NCAA tournament again, expect to hear how you can travel with them.

Men’s Basketball’s Core Four (noun): Formerly known as the freshmen four and sophomore squad, a group of juniors who make up the impact players of the men’s basketball team. These now-veteran players include lockdown defender Patricio Garino (“Pato”), Atlantic 10 Most Improved Player Kevin Larsen (“KevLar”), fresh-off-of-hip-surgery point guard Joe McDonald (“Joe Mac”) and guard Kethan Savage (“Kethan Savage”) who is healthy just in time to follow a breakout sophomore season that was hampered by injury. Solid performances this season from the four could carry head coach Mike Lonergan’s team back to the big dance.

GW George (noun): The University’s mascot. GW George parades around games and runs halftime entertainment dressed to the nines in a general’s regimentals. Although not particularly tall or fierce, he does have a ruthless glare.

Tri-Corner Hat Trophy (noun): A recently established annual competition between GW and George Mason. Whoever wins the most head-to-head matchups over the course of the year will take home the Tri-Corner Hat trophy. GW won the inaugural competition last year.