Must-have emergency phone numbers

Kendall Payne | Hatchet Staff Photographer

Media Credit: Kendall Payne | Hatchet Staff Photographer
Two University police officers talk to a man on campus. About 100 University Police Department officers patrol campus.

Add the following contacts into your phone, and you’ll have the top three most important safety numbers on hand.

1. University Police Department

202-994-6111

D.C.’s police force is called the Metropolitan Police Department, which you can reach by calling 911. MPD commissions the University Police Department that includes more than 100 trained officers. You’ll see them in uniform in their marked cars, walking around campus and sitting at the security desks in your residence halls.

2. EMeRG

202-994-6111 *Yes, it’s the same as UPD.

GW’s Emergency Medical Response Group is made up of licensed student volunteers who you can contact in the event of any health emergency on campus. They’re on call at all hours on the Foggy Bottom Campus and during certain times on the Mount Vernon Campus. They’re well-known for taking intoxicated students to the hospital, but they also help students with other problems from asthma attacks to fainting spells. The University’s amnesty policy ensures that if you need to have EMeRG take you to the hospital for intoxication, you won’t get in trouble your first time as long as you didn’t break any other rules, and neither will the friend who called for help.

3. Sexual assault

202-333-RAPE
202-994-7222

If you or a friend experience any form of sexual assault, you have a number of support systems available 24 hours a day, seven days a week. You can call GW’s Sexual Assault Response Consultative team at 202-994-7222 or D.C.’s rape crisis hotline at 202-333-RAPE. The University also launched a website called Haven last semester that spells out policies, laws and resources.