Nearby getaways

Zach Montellaro | Hatchet Staff Photographer

1. Fletcher’s Cove: (4940 Canal Road NW) Hidden down the C&O Canal Towpath, which stretches 184 miles along the Potomac River, Fletcher’s Cove is an escape with boat and kayak rentals, bike rentals and fishing. Although it’s a 3.6-mile walk from Foggy Bottom, the cove is less than a mile from the Mount Vernon Campus.

Media Credit: Zach Montellaro | Hatchet Staff Photographer
At Fletcher’s Cove, a short walk from the Mount Vernon Campus, you can rent bikes, row in the Potomac River or go on a scenic hike.

2. Lafayette Park: (Across from the White House) This green space offers a little respite from city life while plopping you right in front of the District’s most famous address. Sit on the benches and try your luck at seeing the Obamas’ dogs being taken for a walk. But try to avoid the protestors that hang out around the area – they can make it a little less tranquil.

3. Old Stone House Park: (M Street) The oldest house in D.C. looks a little out of place squished between shops on M Street, but the park in the back is a welcome reprieve from shoppers and sirens.

4. Tidal Basin: Home to the Jefferson Memorial and paddle boat rentals – as well as running paths and cherry blossom trees – the Tidal Basin makes the Potomac seem a little less polluted.