The best of the crime log

The Hatchet’s weekly crime log keeps tabs on incidents across campus from drug and alcohol violations to thefts and assaults.

Here are some of last year’s most memorable cases – some funny, some more serious.

Disorderly Conduct
City Hall
10/21/13 – Time unknown
Case closed
A staff member reported to the University Police Department that there were feces in the lobby area.
– No suspects or witnesses

Simple Assault
1900 block of F Street
11/1/13 – 2:44 a.m.
Case closed
UPD responded to a report of two students in front of Thurston Hall making fun of people’s Halloween costumes and attempting to provoke them. The two students told officers they were actually complimenting them. One also reported that an unknown subject had hit him in the nose earlier that evening.
– Referred for disciplinary action

Lewd, Obscene Acts
Marvin Center
1/27/14 – 5:27 p.m.
Case closed
A staff member reported a complaint to UPD of two juveniles engaging in sexual intercourse. Officers identified the subjects, who admitted to having consensual relations. The Metropolitan Police Department responded and interviewed the juveniles before releasing them.
-Referred to MPD

Assault on a Police Officer/Assault/Drug Law Violation/Threats/Disorderly Conduct
South Hall
2/6/14 – 9 p.m.
Case closed
UPD responded to a domestic violence complaint between a student resident and her boyfriend who was visiting. Both had been drinking. During the investigation, the boyfriend spit on a UPD officer and attempted to spit on an MPD officer. The student also threatened the officers, and about 8 grams of marijuana and paraphernalia were found in her room.
– Subjects arrested

Disorderly Conduct
601 21st St.
2/13/14 – 9:20 p.m.
Case closed
Pedestrians reported that they were hit by snowballs thrown from the rooftop of the Phi Sigma Kappa fraternity townhouse. More than five Metropolitan Police Department vehicles responded and issued the residents a warning.
– Referred for disciplinary action

Robbery/Simple Assault
Off Campus
3/18/14 – 12:20 p.m.
Case closed
A student reported that while she was on a Metro train in Virginia, a woman grabbed her phone out of her hand and ran. The student chased the suspect and when she caught up with her, the woman attempted to choke the student. The student boarded the next train with the woman, and Metro transit police arrived at the next stop and arrested the woman.
– Off campus incident

Drug Law Violation/Liquor Law Violation
JBKO Hall
4/3/14 – 1 a.m.
Case closed
UPD noticed a suspicious odor and notified staff. An administrative search yielded marijuana, drug paraphernalia with cocaine residue, non-prescribed Adderall tablets, alcohol and four fraudulent driver’s licenses. Two students, one male and one female, were arrested for possession.
– Closed by arrest

Burglary II/Destruction
International House
4/16/14 – Unknown time
Case closed
Two students reported that someone had entered their room, which had been left unlocked, and vandalized it using the contents of their refrigerator.
– No suspects or witnesses

Compiled by Zaid Shoorbajee.