Men’s basketball predicted to finish in the top five next season

Sophomore Joe McDonald struggles to get around a VCU defender in March. File Photo by Samuel Klein | Photo Editor
Then-sophomore Joe McDonald struggles to get around a VCU defender in March. File Photo by Samuel Klein | Photo Editor

The Colonials have leapt forward in early predictions polls after their breakout 2013-14 season, climbing the ranks by up to seven slots.

A pair of early Atlantic 10 prediction polls both picked GW to finish in the top five in the conference in 2014, a major improvement after GW was picked to finish 13th in the 2012 preseason coaches poll and 10th last season.

CBS Sports college basketball writer Matt Norlander released his “early guess at the top five in the league” on Monday. Norlander anticipated that GW would finish fifth in the conference behind Saint Joseph’s, Richmond, Dayton and VCU.

After the Colonials earned their first bid to the NCAA tournament since 2007, Norlander warned readers that they should not overlook GW come November.

“Expecting GW to slip back into generic mediocrity would be a mistake,” Norlander said.

SB Nation’s Mid-Major Madness predicted GW would finish third. Senior editor Parks Smith wrote that the Colonials will finish behind Massachusetts, which will come in second behind VCU.

Smith pegged conference newcomer Davidson to finish 12th. The Wildcats finished last season 20-13 overall and 15-1 in the Southern Conference.