First phase of Silver Line to open this summer

Metro
Metro will open the first phase of the Silver Line this summer and plans to finish the second phase, which will connect to Dulles Airport, by 2018. Hatchet File Photo
Updated: May 27, 2014 at 11:49 p.m.

Preparation for the first phase of Metro’s long-awaited Silver Line is now in its final days.

After multiple delays, the Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority took control of the line from the Metropolitan Washington Airports Authority, WMATA announced Tuesday. The transfer means Metro has no more than 90 days to test the line and train workers before passengers can ride it.

Metro has yet to decide the opening date of the first section of the new line, which adds five new stations to the District’s 38-year old Metrorail system: McLean, Tysons Corner, Greensboro, Spring Hill and Wiehle-Reston East.

The Silver Line runs along most of the Orange Line, which includes the station in Foggy Bottom. Wiehle-Reston East will be Metro’s new western end point. The Tysons Corner station will give D.C. residents direct access to Tyson’s Corner Center, the area’s largest shopping mall.

The second phase of the Silver Line project, slated to wrap up in 2018, will take passengers from D.C. to Dulles International Airport.

The post was updated to reflect the following correction:
The Hatchet incorrectly reported that the Metrorail system was 23 years old. Metro began to operate the first phase of its rail system in 1976, according to the agency’s website. We regret this error.