Eighteen officers commissioned into Navy and Marine Corps

Deputy Chief of Naval Operations Vice Admiral William Moran gives the commissioning speech at the graduating ceremony for the Naval Reserve Officers Training Corps. Samuel Klein | Senior Photo Editor
Deputy Chief of Naval Operations Vice Admiral William Moran gives the commissioning speech at the graduation ceremony for the Naval Reserve Officers Training Corps. Samuel Klein | Senior Photo Editor

This post was written by Hatchet staff writer Nora Princiotti.

Swearing to defend the U.S. Constitution against all enemies, 18 graduates of the Naval Reserve Officer Training Corps were commissioned Friday as Navy and Marine Corps officers.

Seventeen ensigns and one second lieutenant from GW, Georgetown, Catholic and Howard universities and the University of Maryland took their oaths during a ceremony in Dorothy Betts Marvin Theatre, after rain forced the ceremony to relocate from the Jefferson Memorial.

Before the newly commissioned officers serve on bases around the globe from Virginia to Japan, their superiors welcomed them into the military and commended them for their commitment. Here are five stand-out moments from the event:

1. Vice Admiral William Moran: “Ideas, good and bad, have no rank.”

Professor of naval science Lt. Alexander Smith introduced Vice Admiral William Moran, the deputy chief of naval operations. Smith drew on an article that Moran wrote for a Navy blog. In the post, Moran had encouraged all members of the military to offer innovative ideas regardless of rank.

Moran also emphasized diversity during his address to graduates, saying that all military members share the same goal.

“Americans of all colors, backgrounds, religions, experiences – volunteers wanted to serve their country, who wanted to be part of a team and wanted to make a difference in their lives,” Moran said. “You are no different.”

Moran administers the commissioning oath to the NROTC Class of 2014. At the conclusion of the oath, the midshipmen are commissioned as ensigns in the Naval Reserve or second lieutenants in the Marine Corps Reserve. Samuel Klein | Senior Photo Editor
Moran administers the commissioning oath to the NROTC Class of 2014. At the conclusion of the oath, the midshipmen are commissioned as ensigns in the Navy or second lieutenants in the Marine Corps Reserve. Samuel Klein | Senior Photo Editor

2. Half of 1 percent

Since the Sept. 11, 2011 terrorist attacks, Moran said just 0.5 percent of eligible men and women have volunteered to serve in the armed forces. Moran highlighted the graduates’ commitment and lauded the highly-educated officer corps the eighteen students were joining.

“The all-volunteer force was born, and we are far better for it,” Moran said.

3. Dealers in hope

Smith praised the Class of 2014’s optimism during a ceremony in which the new officers pledged to give their lives to their country if necessary.

Moran also touched on the seriousness of the event and commended the students’ exceptional character.

“For some, the weight of the commissioning in this environment could be very intimidating, but I don’t see that in your eyes,” Moran said.

4. Honor-bound

The graduates, along with veterans in the audience who chose to reaffirm their commitment, promised to “support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign or domestic.” Capt. Andrew Cully, the commanding officer of the NROTC unit, emphasized the responsibilities of a military officer in his speech.

“You’ll be held to a different standard than your civilian counterparts who will be graduating with you,” Cully said. “Remember one thing: In the eyes of your subordinates, you are what is right, even when you are wrong.”

5. Moran: “Welcome aboard.”

Flash flood warnings and steady rainfall forced the ceremony indoors, and Moran joked Friday that it was “truly a nautical day.”

As “Anchors Aweigh” played out the ceremony, the newly minted officers left to prepare to train for naval aviation, study nuclear power and nursing or report for duty aboard missile cruisers and destroyers.

“We have their backs,” Moran said.

This post was updated May 19, 2014 to reflect the following corrections:
Due to an editing error, The Hatchet incorrectly identified Lt. Smith. His first name is Alexander, not Andrew. The Hatchet also incorrectly reported that the midshipmen were commissioned into the Naval Reserve. They were commissioned into the active duty Navy. Finally, The Hatchet incorrectly reported the song that played at the end of the ceremony. The song is called “Anchors Aweigh,” not “Anchors Away.” We regret these errors.