CEO encourages MBA students to ‘take calculated risk’ and ‘go all in’

Masters of business graduates celebrated their degrees at a ceremony Thursday. Erica Christian | Photo Editor
Master’s of business graduates celebrate at a ceremony Thursday. Erica Christian | Photo Editor
More than 500 students graduated from the School of Business with master’s degrees Thursday at a ceremony that encouraged them to look forward, but not forget the lessons learned at GW.

Seniors snapped selfies from the audience as they heard from Hossein Fateh, the chief executive officer and co-founder of DuPont Fabros Technology. Fateh, a double alumnus, shared the story of how he founded the first real estate investment trust for data centers that now touts clients like Microsoft and Facebook.

Here are five takeaways from Fateh’s speech, and the rest of the ceremony:

1. Fateh: “Take calculated risk”

Hossein Fateh, CEO of DuPont Fabros Technology, told business graduates they are in the perfect time and place for success at the specialized masters ceremony. Erica Christian | Photo Editor
Hossein Fateh, CEO of DuPont Fabros Technology, told business students they are graduating at the perfect time and in the best place for success. Erica Christian | Photo Editor

Fateh learned about the business world by working as the go-to assistant for a bankruptcy acquisition company after graduating from GW. He said he took a risk when he launched DuPont Fabros Technology with long-time friend Lammot DuPont, but it paid off because he had hands-on experience working in mergers and take-overs.

By anticipating risk, and finding creative ways to present ideas, graduates will succeed at a time when technology, energy and capital have aligned for modern business, Fateh said.

2. When you go in, go all in

To be successful, graduates cannot hesitate, Fateh said. He told a story of how he waited 50 hours in a conference room to join forces with another company and buy a bankrupt firm. Although DuPont Fabros only bought the firm’s real estate, they sold it a year later for nearly double what they had purchased it for.

“When you’ve calculated the risk, when you know in your bones that it’s right, go all in,” Fateh said.

3. Looking forward to globalization

Student speaker Maria Florencia Bocca, who plans to earn a master’s degree in finance this summer, came to GW after working at a brokerage firm and boutique investment bank in Argentina. Bocca, who grew up fascinated by international markets and finance, said students must think globally, as international business becomes more predominant.

“As a new generation of financial experts, we have the obligation to be a positive part of the change facing the industry. It will be our responsibility to demonstrate the value of financial institutions to the economic well-being of society,” she said.

4. Carrying on traditions

Interm Dean Christopher Kayes charged business school graduates to carry on the traditions of George Washington as they move forward in their professional lives Thursday. Erica Christian | Photo Editor
Interm Dean Christopher Kayes charged business school graduates with carrying on the traditions of George Washington as they move forward in their professional lives Thursday. Erica Christian | Photo Editor

Interim Dean Christopher Kayes reminded graduates of the University’s namesake. He said once they become alumni, they must carry George Washington’s ideals – such as integrity and leadership – into their professional lives.

“The name George Washington is now inseparable from you. It will remain a part of your day-to-day life for years to come,” he said.

5. Seize the right opportunities

Both Fateh and Kayes encouraged graduates to consider all opportunities, but also recognize when they are presented with luck and good timing.

“You’re privileged to be here. Don’t waste it. Thank you and good luck, but don’t forget to grab luck as it goes by,” Fateh said as he ended his speech.