Men’s basketball brings former BU assistant onto coaching staff

This post was written by Hatchet assistant sports editor Nora Princiotti.

GW has hired Carmen Maciariello as an assistant coach for men’s basketball, head coach Mike Lonergan announced Thursday.

Maciariello boasts six years of experience as a Division-I assistant coach, and comes to GW after spending three seasons at Boston University. Prior to his stint with the Terriers, Marciariello spent three years as an assistant at Fairfield. Maciariello’s teams have a combined record of 122-74 during his time on their staffs.

Photo courtesy of GW athletics.
Carmen Maciariello. Photo courtesy of GW athletics.

Maciariello brings a strong recruiting skill set to the coaching staff after helping to produce nine all-conference and all-rookie team selections along with 2012 America East Player of the Year Darryl Partin.

“He’s attracted and developed some of the best players in school history at his previous stops,” Lonergan said in a release. “More importantly, he’s helped make those programs successful and competitive at a very high level. I’m confident he’ll have the same impact with our student-athletes and program at GW and in the Atlantic 10.”

Maciariello also has experience as a former player. He played his first three collegiate seasons at the University of New Hampshire, earning the Wildcats’ Defensive Player of the Year award in 1998 before transferring to Siena for the 2000-2001 season.

He joins a pair of returning third-year assistant coaches, Hajj Turner and Maurice Joseph. They’ll be tasked with the development of a highly touted recruiting class of Yuta Watanabe, Matt Cimino, Darian Bryant, Paul Jorgensen and Anthony Swan.