Women’s tennis ends regular season with dominant win

This post was written by Hatchet reporter Rob Bartnichak.

The women’s tennis team defeated George Mason by the score of 6-1 Sunday, capping off the regular season and Senior Day with a celebration.

Leah Pascarella serves at a match on the Mount Vernon Campus last season. Hatchet File Photo

Senior Leah Pascarella paced the Colonials, who along with sophomore Christina Carpenter, secured an 8-3 doubles win to help the Colonials take the doubles point. She then went on to a seamless singles victory 6-0, 6-0, bringing her singles record 16-8 on the year and 10-3 in the spring.

“It feels great to have a senior day like this,” Pascarella said after the match. “I couldn’t have asked for much more.”

Also graduating was senior Isabella Escobar, who suffered a somewhat less satisfying afternoon, being defeated in singles 7-6, 6-4 and losing in doubles with freshman partner Taylor Nederlander, 8-4. The singles loss ends her regular season record at 2-7.

“It’s unfortunate that I didn’t win but I thought I fought hard,” Escobar said. “But still, GW has given me an amazing experience.”

Sophomore Lana Robins (6-1, 6-0), Nederlander (7-6, 6-3), sophomore Egle Jakuciunaite (6-2, 6-0) and Carpenter (6-1, 6-0) all won their singles matches in straight sets. The doubles duo of Robins and freshman Allison Hansen added the second GW doubles win, 8-3, giving the Colonials the early 1-0 lead.
Robins ended her season leading the team in singles victories, finishing with a record of 17-9.

The win brings the team’s overall record to 8-5, 5-2 in the conference. With the regular season now over, the team switches its view to the Atlantic 10 Championship in Mason, Ohio, set to begin Thursday, April 24. The Colonials will learn their tournament seeding tomorrow after all weekend matches conclude.

“I think we’re ready,” assistant coach Anthony Lee said. “We can always improve on things but we just need to compete and give 110 percent and we’ll do well.”