Baseball can’t convert hits to runs, falls to Towson 5-3

This post was written by Hatchet reporter Ellee Watson.

The Colonials offense proved to be aggressive, but unfortunately not deep enough against the Towson Tigers Wednesday.

Senior Owen Beightol hits in GW's win over George Mason earlier this season. The senior led the Colonials with three hits against Towson Wednesday. Zach Montellaro | Hatchet Staff Photographer
Senior Owen Beightol hits in GW’s win over George Mason earlier this season. The senior led the Colonials with three hits against Towson Wednesday. Zach Montellaro | Hatchet Staff Photographer

GW outhit the Tigers 12-10, but couldn’t get the big hit when it needed, leaving a total of nine runners on base and allowing Towson to grab the win, 5-3.

Towson got on the board first in the top of the second inning, with two runs off three hits.The Colonials quickly answered in the bottom half of the frame to take the lead 3-2. Senior Owen Beightol hit a double, and freshman Colin Gibbons-Fly singled to left field for an RBI. Sophomore Matthieu Robèrt followed with hit-by-pitch and later scored on a sacrifice fly from freshman Kevin Mahala. Fellow freshman Eli Kashi gave GW the early lead with a single up the middle that scored Gibbons-Fly for the final run of the inning.

The Colonials could not capitalize on their offense, though, over the next three innings and were left with their slim one-run advantage. They left two runners on base at the end of the third, fourth and seventh innings.

The Tigers, on the other hand, secured the win with some timely hitting: a solo home run from Brady Policelli in the top of the fourth inning and an RBI single from Pat Fitzgerald earned them back the lead.

Freshman righty Jordan Sheinkop started his first collegiate game for GW, staying in until the top of the sixth inning with a pitch count of 78. He allowed four earned runs off of six hits.

Senior Luke Staub stepped up to the mound to keep his team within scoring distance, and did, giving up four hits, but no runs in relief. GW couldn’t push any late runs across, though, and the score held at 5-3.

Freshman lead-off hitter Joey Bartosic and senior Owen Beightol led the Colonials’ offense with three hits each. Mahala, Kashi and Gibbons-Fly each had an RBI on the day.

Last season, the Colonials finished 17th in stolen bases in Division I baseball. They have continued to try and overcome their lack of power with speed this season, going 35-55 on stolen base attempts. In crucial moments down the stretch Wednesday, though, the aggressiveness didn’t pay off, with Beightol getting caught stealing in the seventh inning and Freshman Bobby Campbell getting caught in the ninth.

The Colonials travel to Philadelphia, Pa. this weekend for a three-game Atlantic 10 series against La Salle.